Google Analytics

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Week 1A: Choosing a Template

My first step into the exciting world of social media was to create a blog. I decided to go to blogger.com and get started there. After a few simple questions, I was asked to choose a template. There was a note saying I could change templates later so I just clicked on one and finished the sign in process.

Finally, I went back to the templates section of the site. I clicked on a couple of templates, but couldn't choose one because I didn't know what the posts would look like. At this point, I went back into the control panel and set up a couple of test posts with images, then went back to the templates and finally chose the template you see here. Below are some notes on the various templates.

In the end, I chose the Watermark template because I liked the dark colors, the intro to the blog was complete and the focus seemed to point to the actual posts. Remember though, with many of the templates, you can upload a background image of your choosing.




Simple




This template was appealing. I kept it in mind for consideration.
















Dynamic Views


Dynamic Views was not so dynamic. The description of the blog was cut off. All the images suddenly jumped from the right side of the page to the left while the text was all over the place. Thumbs down on Dynamic.









Picture Window


Picture Window is a nice template, but I did not like the white text on this particular background. There were other versions of Picture Window, and you can change the background so I am keeping it in mind. The white text would work with a dark background.






Awesome, Inc.


Awesome seems too busy. I wanted this blog to focus on the posts. Of course, you can change the background, but even if you put black as the background, the elements are all over the place, color wise.






Watermark


Watermark seems simple and focused on the posts. I like it, but I'm not really sold on it. I may change to another template.










Ethereal




Ethereal was pretty and feminine. I loved the look, but not for a blog about business.












Travel



The Travel template has more promise than you might guess at first. Change the background and it might be a very nice look for a business blog.

Conclusion


The most important thing is to jump right in and try it for yourself. Nothing is set in stone so go ahead and try it. Remember, computers are just dumb machines. You and your creativity are in control so have a blast! 

2 comments:

  1. Maxine!
    Excellent job with template selection and introduction! You are certainly no stranger to the world of blogging and you have an incredible online presence that shouts for attention! Great job with the design of your initial blog, as well as your secondary choice (which was just as great). You seem to be well organized and ready to get going – I have no doubt in my mind you will be a success in this course.
    Also, I believe you are exactly right: a computer is only as "smart" as its user - and creativity can only stretch as far as an imagination!

    I look forward to seeing what else you have in store!

    Respectfully,
    Jennette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing style. I think your blog is going to be a hit!

    ReplyDelete